Lastnight I took Holly to see the fireworks concert that traditionally marks the end of the Edinburgh Festival. Helen had been given a couple of tickets for Princes Street Gardens by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, one of her clients. It was a late night for Holly, and she started to get a bit nervous as "zero hour" drew closer, and the test flares went up. But the look on her wee face when the sky lit up in front of her and she realised there was nothing to be afraid of was something to behold. The music was all Handel, I think they always - for obvious reasons - play the Music for the Royal Fireworks, which didn't do that much for me. It was sandwiched, however, by two choral pieces, Zadok the Priest to open with and the Hallelujah Chorus from the Messiah to finish. These big, bold, bombastic pieces fitted the fireworks nicely I thought. Stirring stuff. The whole thing lasted 45 minutes, which was more than enough for Holly, and she finally hit the sack around 10:15. And on a school night! We'll get into trouble...
No comments:
Post a Comment